Polch (Rhineland-Palatinate) – At the heart of Maifeld
Located in the middle of the Mayen-Koblenz district and at the heart of Maifeld, the first recorded mention of the town of Polch is in 1052. However, the fertile area surrounding Polch was already inhabited from early times.
An official residence since 1800, Polch, with the districts Ruitsch, Kaan and Nettesürsch, is now the location of the Maifeld associated municipality administration, an ideal industrial and business location with a good infrastructure, and a popular place of residence. Today, the town of Polch has approximately 6,700 inhabitants.
The town harbours places of interest such as the early Romanesque St George’s chapel, one of the oldest churches in the Eifel region, the baroque courtyard of St Martin’s abbey, built in around 1748, and the Jewish synagogue, constructed between 1867 and 1877, which was destroyed during the Nazi period and rebuilt between 1981 and 1983. St Stephan’s parish church, built in a neo-Romanesque style, is striking with its over 50m high twin towers.Many places can be reached from Polch for excursions: in Maifeld there are numerous castles such as Burg Eltz, Burg Pyrmont or Burg Wernerseck. The Maria Laach monastery on the Laach lake is also only 15 kilometres from Polch. The Rhine and Moselle valley, with its numerous excursion options, can be reached in a short time. The Nürburgring – the world famous race course in the Eifel region– is around 25 kilometres away.